Sunday, May 18, 2014

London Calling: Part I


Sitting on the plane, blasting down the runway, thinking about the next six hours. Not a bad start to the trip really. I don't recommend going directly from work to the airport if you can avoid it, but there were only really minor drawbacks.

As it were, my journey began being given the middle seat...in between two beautiful women from Ireland. I felt as though this would be a good indicator of fortune and fun on this trip. A little bit of chit chat, and then settled into the overnight flight. I think I managed to catch a few eye blasts full of sleep here and there in between movies, but i was also quite aware that I was on a plane. To England. I silently chuckled to myself with Christmas Eve glee and anticipation. This was happening.

As we had planned, I was to fly into London Heathrow Airport and meetup with Josh there. After  quick dash on the Underground, we popped up at Piccadilly Circus* and first things first: find me some coffee because i don't even know what day or time it is. Like, it's sunny, but I'm normally in bed right now, but have been up since yesterday, and flew through the air in a giant tube wondering if we would crash land on some weird and magical Island where they would show a flashback of my story around episode nine. Yep, definitely coffee time.

*Not really any circus or circus like things

Welcome to Costa Coffee. People use our loo more than they buy our coffee.
 After a quick freshening up, it was time to see this majestic city.

Won't you take me to... do do do ... Action Town
Since neither of us really knew the city, or where we were for that matter, we went in whatever direction had a tall landmark. This led us to a park. St. James Park to be exact.



Suit up

Ready for action


Pigeons be pigeons wherever you go. Perhaps the great constant of the world more so than gravity.






Oh yeah, as if undertaking such a grand adventure wasn't enough, it was basically summer already. You know, after coming from weather that not two days before blasted ice pellets over everything? There was also sun, so go England i guess.

Eventually we made our way out of the park, and came out at the Victoria Memorial


Which is just across from Buckingham Palace.

This dude was the blacksmith version of Paul Bunyan I think.
Street of dreams
To try for the sun

Now, I know his music is brilliant, but I had no idea that Lindsey Buckingham had his own palace, let alone so many fans who were clamoring to check it out, or hoping for a glimpse of him.

May or may not be real gold. Did not bite.

May or may not be real fence. Did not climb.

And armed guards. Gone are the days when we got to be jackasses TO THEIR FACES! They simply get to deal with  us taking a billion pics of them a day through a fence. This guy is probably the most photographed person in the world second to heart throb and heart breaker Michael Bolton. Who probably has his own guards. It's guards all the way down.
"No, I dare you to run up and poke him"






1 comment:

  1. These are gorgeous, Scotty! Can't wait to see the rest!

    Now you've got me wanting to go dig up MY London photos, from when I was 17. I was into photography, then (also: a babe ;^) so between those two facts I seem to remember them being pretty awesome. Not Scotty awesome, but hey, what do you want?

    I love the way you've captured the sense of movement in the gold, and the scale of the Victoria Monument, and just the whole light and atmosphere of St. James'. Also, the framing on the beefeater is pretty rad. Thumbs up!

    -Alishya

    ReplyDelete