Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Nature's Bizarre Beauty

Like some strange...Ice Mushroom...
So here is the story. A couple of years ago some friends of mine (which, included in this posse, was me) went out into the country for a couple of days. In the recent days or weeks before our trip, this place (also known as Kedji) had seen a HUGE surge of rain, followed by surges of cold, and as the water fell, it left some interesting Ice formations Everywhere...

I thought I had over rotated this picture by mistake...
 It was a nice wander, if not a little dicey in the footing department. The water had dropped back down, but was still impressively high. I would have liked to be there when it was crazy flooded.

Natures Chandelier
I'm used to crazy weather, having lived here in Nova Scotia for my entire life, but this was something else. Everywhere you looked were displays like this, or sheets of ice an inch thick suspended between four trees:

My friend Lila giving a sense of scale (and wonder) to the ice sheets.
 To be honest, every time I have gone on a Photo hike in kedji, even in the same locations, there is always something new and different. That has a lot to do with me, as I tend to see things differently by nature...Ugh...No pun intended...but that also has to do with what nature throws up at us every time.
How?
The power and force with which we see nature destroy is what makes the news on a daily basis, but it is the daily basis of nature that truly defines her beauty.This was something different. It was the marriage of a yell and a whisper. A whisper that needed to be photographed quite quickly, for wandering amongst such wonders with a four year old leads to broken beauty...
Just natures regular beauty...

...But I have to admit that I did partake in some smashing of my own.

R.I.P. Dangling Ice Bell things.




:)





No comments:

Post a Comment